Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Garden Mosaic Art Workshop

Time for another workshop with my daughter and good friend....

This time we were making mosaics....

Me, I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants girl...

Which means, I say, "Let's do mosaics!"

I have looked online and have a general idea of how to do it and materials needed.

My good friend...she's a thinker....

She does lots of research and spends a lot of time considering products and applications....

I learn through trial and error.....

Let's try this....

That didn't work out....

Hmmmm...

Anyway, here is a few snapshots of the afternoon....

I have been saving and accumulating materials to make mosaics for years....

Jars of goodies, ready to go....


Seems like I buy glass pebbles and marbles every time I see a bag at a yard sale or when they go on sale...

They were spread out all over the studio...


Pebbles, glass, polymer goodies, seashells...


Grout, a bowling ball, more shells and pebbles, a cool box to cover.

The little tile bits were reteived for me by my father-in-law a few years ago after an auction from the auction trash.


That bowling ball has been saved for this project for years....



Then my friend arrived with her stash....

My, oh, my!  

She has awesome goodies....

She LOVES blue!

Can you tell?


She has been saving dishes when they break at her house for years.

She just tossed them in a trash can in an unused part of the yard, knowing someday they would find their way to a new life...

I love that idea.


My daughter was going to join us too, but she had a couple of things she was going to work on: finish a painting, a rag rug she is making, a couple new paintings.

When she saw all those awesome supplies get unloaded, she decided to mosaic with us.

She was going to make coasters.

I pulled out some cheap cardboard coasters I had.

I think that was a great idea.

She got to play with different supplies and apply them to a small project.

Note the bowl of chocolate again...


Here are some of her designs.

We have to grout next time.



Once she grouts, you won't see the coaster background.


I love these.

She made a set to give as a gift for Christmas...


My project for the day was to transform this satellite dish.

I have been saving it since we moved into the house.

Sorry Direct TV.


First it got a coat of spray paint since I was using clear adhesive to attach the pebbles.


I am not a pattern/exact person.

So, this was quite an undertaking for me.

I really enjoyed it though.


That's a lot of little pebbles.


My friend brought a mirror frame she wanted to cover with seashells.

She removed and left the mirror at home.

I am loving what she has done so far.



Those pearls and bits of sea glass really made it pop...


Later this week, I will show you what my daughter and I added to the projects.

We are all getting together this week to grout so I will show you finished projects later.

I will also do a post on tips and tricks for doing mosaic....

Thanks for stopping by....






No comments: