Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Fusing Failures...


I told you I got a kiln in the fall.

And from time to time, I share a little of what I am doing with it.

Well, today I wanted to share some of our failures.

Seems like we have a ton of those too.

 So here goes...

Sometimes part of it turns out...note the orange bottom.

But the rest....not so much...


For this one, I tried melting glass pieces and frit in a cookie cutter.

Some of the frit we made from a beer bottle did not melt.


This button in my button mold also used some of the beer bottle green frit.


And this one...

Yup. 

 It just did not work...


I don't recall what color frit we used....

I would call this a failure but I sort of like the primitive look of it...


Same with this one.


More of the green homemade frit.

I did finally throw the rest of it away...


I tried to make a snowman...


When I flip it over, you get a better idea of what I was hoping for...


I actually sandwiched a leaf between these pieces of clear glass.

Sometimes you can get an outline of the left before it burns away.

I did not.


Not enough clear frit on this one to seal the top...


These are layering failures.

Some did not melt correctly.  

Some got very brittle and can be snapped in half.



I tried to melt a couple Christmas balls...


And these were an attempt at coasters made by layering glass in a terra cotta saucers coated with kiln wash.

A great idea that just did not quite turn out...


Here is the other side of the one on the right.


I tried to layer some hardware bits between layers of glass and the metal stayed hot longer, causing bubbles.

While I think the bubbles are kind of cool, they are very fragile and broke....making the pieces dangerous.


And here is another failed attempt at a snowman.


It's funny, the glass fusing is definitely more experimentation than exact science.

That drives my husband crazy because there is not always a pattern to the results. 

 I find it sort of freeing.  

I can try stuff, but I don't know just what I will get...

Even failures are learning opportunities.

I hope you are taking chances and learning every day...

Thanks for stopping by....

No comments: