Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jewelry Case Makeovers With DecoArt Chalky Finish Paints....



A couple years ago a friend from work gave me three jewelry cases.

They were well made but very large.

I was not sure what to do with them so they stayed in the upstairs of my shed.

This summer a saw a shadow box done in a tan and coastal blue that I loved.

It was just the colors I had at home from the DecoArt Chalky Finish line of paints.


So this summer, on a hot, hot day I ventured into the upstairs of the shed and carried these down.


I wiped off the dust and grime from the shed.


Let the fun begin...

I do love the silky consistency of these paints.


It took a couple coats to color them the way I wanted.


These originally had display boards covered with black velvet.


I removed the velvet and recovered the boards with burlap from coffee sacks my daughter brought home.


I painted everything with two coats of paint.


It took two afternoons since I had to do the outside of the boxes one day and the insides the next.


Once painted, I used a razor to scrape the window edges.

I also sanded the edges to scuff them up a bit.



I used these at my fall show.

They made a pretty place to display my polymer clay and primitive finished jewelry.


I like the burlap much better than the velvet.


I used vintage folding tape measures to prop the lids open.


I have not used them for every show because they do take up a good bit of space but I do love the transformation...

Thanks for stopping by...

No comments: